Friday, March 1, 2013

College Degrees with the Best and Worst Return on Investment

Are you having a hard time choosing a major? Just the other day, I read the article 8 College Degrees with the Worst Return on Investment, and it made me curious as to what majors give you the best return on investment. My search led me to the article 5 college majors with the biggest payoffs.

Here is the list of college majors with the worst return on investment, according to Salary.com:
  1. Communications
  2. Psychology
  3. Nutrition
  4. Hospitality/Tourism
  5. Religious Studies/Theology
  6. Education
  7. Fine Arts
  8. Sociology
Here is the list of college majors with the biggest payoff, according to CNN Money:
  1. Pre-Med
  2. Computer Systems Engineering
  3. Pharmacy
  4. Chemical Engineering
  5. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
  6. Mechanical Engeneering
  7. Aeroscape and Aeronautical Engineering
  8. Computer Science
Yep. My major is at the top of the "worst return on investment" list. However, I'm not upset about it. I've found a career path that I will enjoy doing for the rest of my life. If I had been shown these articles while I was deciding what to major in, it wouldn't have changed a thing.

My dad has a lot of philosophies about life, and I think this one is worth sharing. You should major in something you are passionate about and the rest will work itself out. If you love what you're doing, you will excel at it and work harder at it, which will make you more successful in the long run. You don't want to be stuck doing something you hate for the rest of your life, or you will just spend all the extra money you make on things in an attempt to make yourself happy.

My dad is a smart man.

I definitely think it's worth considering your return on investment when deciding what to major in, but it should not be the only reason you pick a career path.

3 comments:

1. I am transferring to Missouri State this Spring; 2014. And my major of choice is the second worst, psychology! This was interesting because I changed my major from English to Psychology because I loved both but I thought pyschology would have a better turn out. Yet, English isn't on this list. Life is full of surprises!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the list very interesting as well. I would have never guessed my career would land me at number one! Good luck with finishing up at SCC and transferring.

Delete

Tweet